South Melbourne FC

The Blue and White Forever

South reclaim second spot

South reclaim second spot

Monday, 11 May 2009 9:28 AM

South Melbourne has extended its unbeaten run to 8 games after defeating reigning champions Altona Magic 2-0 at Bob Jane Stadium on Sunday.

Both teams came into the contest on 17 competition points, with the knowledge that a win would see them sit comfortably in equal second on the table by the end of the round.

South came into the game without veteran Vaughan Coveny who missed the critical match, whilst Altona were missing the experienced Steven Laurie.

The game started off in a fairly timid manner, with the first chance on goal coming in the 8th minute when a Steven O’Dor header was directed into the arms of custodian Bojo Jevedjevic.

The home side continued to pepper the Altona goal face and once again had an opportunity to take the lead in the 12th minute, when some lovely interplay at the corner of the area culminated in Fernando hitting a powerful shot inches wide of the target.

South were dominating proceedings and almost had the opener again through a long range attempt by Fernando. In an unlucky piece of play, he carved his way into an opening just outside the area before hitting another hard shot onto the target with goalkeeper Jevdjevic once again making the critical catch.

The Blues did hit the lead in the 31st minute when a lovely sweeping move forward found the feet of 4 South players, before Goran Zoric cut back the ball into the path of Gianni De Nittis. With the goal beckoning, De Nittis slammed the ball past the keeper to give his side a well deserved 1-0 advantage.

Altona’s first opportunity for the opening half came in the 46th minute when a speculative long range attempt by Carl Recchia was fumbled by Tommi Tomich. The resultant rebound then found its way to the heavily marked Michael Curcija who opted to lay the ball back into the path of Recchia. With Tomich hurrying back into position, Recchia hit a disappointing drive wide of the target.

The second half continued in the same manner as the first with South Melbourne dominating the early stages.

The Blues only had to wait until the 55th minute to score its second goal, after De Nittis was fouled just outside the area. With the crowd urging the home team on, Fernando stepped up and hit a wonderful free kick to the back post, where it was met by the hard working Shane Nunes who managed to steer the ball into the back of the net.

South continued to bombard the Altona penalty area for the remaining half an hour without any real reward, with Goran Zoric and Fernando missing a plethora of half chances throughout the half.

The closest chance came in the 89th minute when the diminutive attacking player turned the Altona defence inside and out before hitting a cracking shot just wide of the target.

With the three points, South jump back into second place with a tricky away fixture next Sunday against Sunshine, whilst Altona must pick up the pieces as it hosts the Melbourne Knights in what is looming as a must win game.

Privacy Preference Center