South Melbourne FC

The Blue and White Forever

Gully too strong for South

Gully too strong for South

Sunday, 15 April 2012 10:50 PM

By John Kyrou (Photos by Cindy Nitsos)

Click here to view our Photo Gallery of the Match

Green Gully has continued its 26 year home ground hoodoo against South Melbourne FC, coming from a goal down to defeat South 3-1 on Saturday afternoon. Goals from Daniel Jones and a brace from Matthew Sanders were enough to render Ante Cicak’s first half own goal irrelevant as the home side ran out winners.

South had not won at Green Gully Reserve since 1986 but that record looked threatened to be broken thanks to a bright start that led to the away side getting the opening goal. South won a corner on the right that Bradley Norton played short to Fernando De Moraes, who skipped past a defender and fired a low cross to the near post that hit Cicak and flew into the back of the net. South had two great opportunities to double their lead, firstly when De Moraes blasted a free kick over the crossbar and secondly when Trent Rixon shot over the bar following a great build-up. With South’s awful record at Green Gully Reserve, those chances missed were always going to come back and haunt the away side.

Gully had started the match slowly but had gradually worked their way back into the game, overpowering the South midfield. The home side eventually worked the equaliser shortly before halftime, when a cross from the right wasn’t dealt with properly from goalkeeper Peter Gavalas and his defence, allowing Jones to eventually fire home. Gully could have even gone ahead before the break but Osagie Ederaro headed a great chance wide of the goal.

The second half was a one-sided affair, with South barely able to generate any chances as Gully completely dominated in midfield. The away side suffered another blow when Rixon hobbled off the field with a groin injury after landing very awkwardly after an aerial challenge. South’s miserable afternoon continued in the 77th minute when Gavalas horribly mis-kicked a Steven O’Dor backpass, allowing Sanders an easy tap-in. Sanders then went on to complete his double only minutes later when he headed home a corner from the left, ensuring South’s horrible record at the ground continued into a 27th year.

South coach Peter Tsolakis was disappointed with his side, labelling it a “lethargic performance” and was keen on forgetting the result and quickly focussing his attention towards the next game against Richmond on Friday night. On Rixon’s groin injury, he mentioned that “it’s early days yet, he will have it checked out on Monday and we’ll go from there…we aren’t sure yet whether it’s too serious or not.”

In the Under 21s match, South were too strong and registered a solid 3-0 victory.

South’s next game is away at Kevin Bartlett Reserve against the Richmond Eagles on Friday 20 April. Kick-off is at 8:30pm.


Goal Scorers: 

0-1: Ante Cicak OG (12′)
1-1: Daniel Jones (38′)
2-1: Matthew Sanders (77′)
3-1: Matthew Sanders (83′)

Green Gully:
1. Rhys KEANE (GK), 2. Daniel JONES, 3. Ante CICAK, 5. Rodrigo VARGAS, 8. Jason HAYNE, 11. Scott ROBSON, 12. Matthew SANDERS (18. Joel NIKOLIC 83′), 15. Hamid BASMA (9. Brent FISHER 68′), 16. Mile MEDJEDOVIC, 19. Johnathon MUNOZ (7. Jeffrey FLEMING 75′), 20. Osagie EDERARO.

South Melbourne FC:
1. Peter GAVALAS (GK), 2. Tom MATTHEWS, 4. Steven O’DOR, 6. Dimi TSIARAS, 9. Trent RIXON (20. Gianni DE NITTIS 65′), 10. Glen TRIFIRO, 11. Bradley NORTON, 13. Luke BYLES, 15. Fernando DE MORAES (7. Joe KEENAN 68′), 23. Jason TRIFIRO (18. Marinos GASPARIS 80′), 25. Kyle JORYEFF

SMFC Man of the Match: Dimi Tsiaras
Venue: Green Gully Reserve
Date: Saturday 14 April 2012

Privacy Preference Center