South Melbourne Football Club can today announce the retirement of Board member and President, Leo Athanasakis.
The current board was made aware of his retirement late this week, with it being effective as of the 2018 Annual General Meeting to be held in December 2018.
In eleven years, Leo has many great achievements that will ensure his long lasting legacy at the club.
Speaking to smfc.com.au, long standing Board member Nick Maikousis thanked Leo for his service to the club & acknowledged the outgoing President’s contribution.
“Leo took the helm of our great club at a time when the club was re-establishing itself back in the State League & at a time that South faced numerous threats & challenges. His commitment & dedication, along with the long list of achievements should command respect from all club stakeholders. His legacy is something both he & his family should be very proud of. We look forward to seeing them all in the stands for years to come”.
Below is a letter from the outgoing president to fans and members of our club.
A new President will be selected by the Board.
Letter from Leo Athanasakis
Dear Members, Sponsors, Fans & Players
I wish to advise that will be retiring from the Presidential post at the conclusion of the 2018 AGM which will be scheduled in December 2018.
I would like to thank you all for the great support you have given me as President over my 11 Years.
I am proud to have represented the club during this period as we have achieved so much on and off the park.
Including the following:
– A boutique, state-of-the-art stadium with multiple income streams.
– A home and social club for fans, owned and operated by SMFC.
– A Futsal Centre owned and Operated by SMFC
– Financially Stable with multiple revenue streams and partnerships
– Bipartisan Political Support
– Outstanding Womens Program
– “One Club Unification” with South Melbourne Womens Fc
– Victoria’s largest school football program
– Number One junior Football and NPL Program in Victoria.
– Strong links in Football’s emerging markets of China and the development of the Australia China Football Development Association.
– An unrivalled and outstanding A League Bid Submission.
Between now & our AGM, it is my objective to assist with the transition process to the new Board & leadership.